Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Best Carrot Cake Ever

Ok, so I got approval from my friend to share with you her recipe for the Carrot Cake that I made on Sunday.  This friend, Sandi R., is becoming known as the “Cake Goddess” within our circle of friends.  Everyone just loves any cake she makes, It was a mutual friends birthday last weekend and I comsulted Sandi on what type of cake our friend likes and she took a wild guess and said carrot cake.  She offered her recipe if I didn’t already have one, which I didn’t, since I have never made one from scratch before.  I was a little cautious when I read over the recipe she sent me.  It only made 1 9in round layer.  She said I would need to double the recipe for a layer cake or to make a 9x13 cake.  I had never seen only half a cake recipe before BUT I trusted Sandi, fully.  We were only expecting 6 people for the get together so I decided that a single layer round should be fine.  I am glad I did…it came out beautiful and was the perfect amount too.  It is a very dense cake that I served chilled so small slices were perfect after a big meal.  Now, I know, BAD ME…I forgot to get any pictures of it, I’m sorry!  I will just have to make another and photograph it for you.  Sandi says all of her scrumptious recipes have either been passed down to her or are her own creations.  Any woman that can create something as heavenly as her cakes deserves the title “Cake Goddess”.  Note: I made my cake the night before and refrigerated it, covered and then iced the cold cake the next day and had no issues with the icing being too soft. 

 

Carrot Cake

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
tsp baking powder
tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup cooked, mashed carrots cooled to room temp
3/4 cup veg oil
1 8 1/4 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
3 eggs
1 tbsp hot water
1/2 cup walnuts (soaked and washed)
1/4 cup raisins (soaked)


-Preheat to 350


-Mix carrots, oil, pineapple, eggs, hot water in a bowl.


-Sift dry ingredients, mix in wet ingredients until smooth, fold in walnuts and raisins.


-Pour into a greased and floured 9 inch pan. Bake for 45 mins. or when middle springs back slightly when touched. Let cool completely, then ice the cake.


Cream Cheese Icing


8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup REAL unsalted butter
1 lb powdered sugar


-Have everything room temperature, cream well. You can add a smidge of vanilla if you like (I do ♥)


This recipe makes One 9 inch round cake. You can double this recipe and make it in a 9x13. I also double the icing recipe and chill for a bit before I put in on the cake (still in the pan or baking dish) But you can turn the cake out and icing it if you want. It's a very soft icing though and doesn't stack well if you make two 9 in cakes. It smooshes out of the middle. I also decorate the top with some walnuts.

I add a little vanilla and/or rum to the warm water I plump my raisins in. I think it makes a difference.

No comments: