Friday, November 5, 2010

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Good morning everyone!  I was blessed by a visit from the canning fairy a while back…I found loads of canning supplies spread on my counter top when I awoke and in the mix was a brand new spring form pan.  I was so excited and couldn’t wait to make my very first scratch cheesecake.  I had seen a recipe in a magazine ad and it sounded perfect, especially when my honey requested that I make it.  See, she is not really a cheesecake fan and I am, so when she said she really wanted this one, I thought woo-hoo, my lucky day!  I finally get to make a cheesecake.  I could NEVER justify making one for just me, since I am the only one in the house that likes it.  We picked up the ingredients last weekend and made it late last Saturday night.  A fellow blogger, Andrea, had posted a comment to a statement I had made about making cheesecakes and I wish I had seen it BEFORE I made this one.  I guess the way to get really good at something ,though, is trial and error…you know, learn from your mistakes.  I made this cheesecake exactly as the directions show and it came out good.  Everyone liked it but I was not happy when I saw the big crack in the top of it.  I thought it was just a touch dry and I immediately said to myself, “I must do more research on the art of cheesecake making”.  Unfortunately, I then came across Andrea’s reply about making cheesecakes and she had told me to check out her blog.  I did and I can’t wait to try her Vanilla Bean Cheesecake recipe and follow her tips.  See her blog post here ---> http://andrea-thekitchenwitch.blogspot.com/2010/05/vanilla-bean-cheesecake.html .  Now, here’s the recipe for the one I made.  Check out her blog first for tips, though.

Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake

38 Ginger Snaps, finely crushed (about 1-1/2 cups)

1/4 cup  finely chopped pecans

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

4 pkg.  (8 oz. each) Cream Cheese, softened

1 cup sugar

1 can  (15 oz.) pumpkin

1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice

1 tsp.  vanilla

4 eggs

 

HEAT oven to 325°F

MIX crumbs, nuts and butter; press onto bottom and 1 inch up side of 9-inch springform pan.

BEAT cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Add pumpkin, spice and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each just until blended. Pour into crust.

BAKE 1 hour 20 min. to 1 hour 30 min. or until center is almost set. Loosen cake from rim of pan; cool before removing rim. Refrigerate 4 hours.

Enjoy!

065  066

1 comment:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Despite the crack the cheesecake looks GREAT!! I'm loving the gingersnap crust - the spiciness pairs perfectly with pumpkin! Great now I want cheesecake :) Lucky for me my hubby's bday is this weekend and he's a cheesecake fan...he might be getting one for his birthday :) thanks for the blog love & links Suzanne!! You're awesome!